Welcome to EnviroDIY, a community for do-it-yourself environmental science and monitoring. EnviroDIY is part of WikiWatershed, an initiative of Stroud Water Research Center designed to help people advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water.
New to EnviroDIY? Start here

2022 EnviroDIY Hardware Status and Availability

Home Forums Mayfly Data Logger 2022 EnviroDIY Hardware Status and Availability

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Shannon Hicks

This is the thread to ask non-technical questions related to the production status and availability of EnviroDIY products like the Mayfly Data Logger or its accessories.  If you’re wondering when something will be back in stock or where to order it, this is the place to ask.  Be sure to check the table on the Hardware Status and Availability page for the latest news before asking your question.

If you have technical questions about a product or need help using it, search the forum to see if your question has already been asked, or start a new forum topic if it’s a unique or complex question.  General technical questions that might be of interest to everyone about the v1.1 board can be asked on the Mayfly v1.1 technical questions forum thread.

James_NZ
        Participant

Hi Shannon,

Do you have any idea when the RS-485 half shields are likely to be in stock?

James

Shannon Hicks

No estimate yet, I’m still working on the redesign and will then have to get them manufactured once we’ve fully tested them.

James_NZ
                Participant

Thanks Shannon.  Please let me know as I will likely order a few of these and some mayfly 1.1’s.

Appreciate the hard work.

James

neilh20
                  Participant

@James_NZ  – I’m curious, just wondering how many RS485’s stations are you looking at and your planning project timeline.

What sort of instruments/powering are you looking to connect to.

There is a forward looking discussion on issues here, though the timeline for anything being built, I’m guessing is really dependent on specific project drivers.  https://github.com/EnviroDIY/Mayfly-Modbus-Wing/issues/3

James_NZ
                    Participant

Hi Neil,

I would only need 5 at this stage.  I would connect it to my Yosemitech turbidity sensors and potentially Yosemitech pH sensors as well.

Regards,

James

dan@wachusett
                      Participant

Is there any updated timeline on the RS-485 half shield production? The last update was about 6 months ago.

Thanks!

James_NZ
                        Participant

I’m also still very interested in these wings.  The Pololu 12v Step-up voltage regulator has been discontinued and I’m struggling to build new wings.
                          <h1 id=”page_title”></h1>

mbullard
                          Participant

James,

Could you solder the jumper on the old version wing board that would otherwise be under the step up board?  And get 12 volt from the new Mayfly?   I am not qualified to make any recommendations, but since 12 volt is on the new Mayfly, you should be able to power the Y511 that way.

Mike

Mike

Shannon Hicks

The Y511-A has a wiper motor that draws a little too much power on initial startup, so unfortunately even the newest Mayfly 1.1RevB still can’t power it directly.  Our early 1.0 prototypes handled all the various 12v sensors just fine, but the voltage regulators on that prototype have been out of stock for the past 18 months, and we’ve been unable to find similar components that are suitable for all the various 12v sensors people typically operate from a Mayfly board.  I’m still testing parts and designs so once we’ve found one that works and is readily available from the manufacturer and have fully tested it to guarantee that it works with all of our typical sensors, then we’ll be able to produce the RS-485 modbus adapter board.  I don’t have any definite dates of when that might happen, but I’ll certainly let everyone know once we’ve got a estimated availability date.

Heather Brooks
                          Keymaster

Reminder: we’re limiting this forum topic to non-technical questions related to the production status and availability of EnviroDIY products like the Mayfly Data Logger or its accessories.

Please post other Mayfly-related discussions separately on the Mayfly forum. We’ll move off-topic replies posted here to their own threads to preserve the activity while keeping this topic skimmable. Thanks for your cooperation!

Matt Barney
                            Participant

FYI, just noting here that the  Hardware Status and Availability page is not up to date, at least with respect to Mayfly board availability on Amazon, as they are out of stock.

Shannon Hicks

Thanks for the heads up, I just updated the availability page.  We shipped more boards to Amazon before the holidays, but they haven’t restocked them yet.  Hopefully they’ll be back in stock and available soon, but in the meantime, they’re still available in 5-packs in the EnviroDIY Shop.

sofija
                                Participant

Hello, I would like to use Mayfly for my PhD research but I’m based in the UK–have you had any experience with people successfully deploying Mayfly in other countries? I know you don’t sell them outside of the US, but I would appreciate any pointers on where to start getting information on what it would take to transport them to Europe once they are purchased (if this is even possible).

Thanks!
                                  Sofija

PS I’d also appreciate any information on alternative equipment I could find in Europe if getting the Mayfly over is too difficult. I haven’t found any similar devices that also have enough of an active community around them to rely on for troubleshooting etc.

neilh20
                                  Participant

@sofija  if you start a topic, perhaps describing what sensors you think you want, and some of the sensing goals, then it would be easier to provide some insights. My first board I used was from a Dutch company, the hardware availability isn’t a good place to discuss this. It could be in https://www.envirodiy.org/forum/infrastructure-and-equipment/

James_NZ
                                    Participant

@sofija I am using mayflies for my PhD research as well.  I’m really interested to hear what you are doing with them, and can also provide some advice on how to get equipment.

sofija
                                        Participant

thanks for your reply! Would you mind sharing how you got the sensors delivered to you if you’re based outside of the US (I’m assuming this might be useful for other people too)? I’ll start a new thread to share more about what I’d like to do with the mayflies so we can discuss more–I’m also curious to hear how you’ve been using them!

Matt Barney
                                        Participant

Any estimate on when the LTE Bee modems will be back in stock, either here on EnviroDIY or on Amazon? -Thanks.

Shannon Hicks

No exact date yet, but we’ve ordered all of our inventory items and now are just waiting.  I’ll update the Availability page with exact dates if we get more detailed info.

Hello! Do you know when the full mayfly station monitoring kits will be back in stock? The availability page says they are but the page for the kit says they are out of stock.

Thank you!

Shannon Hicks

We sold the last couple kits last week and I hadn’t updated the status page yet to indicate that, but I just did.  There were some supply issues with some of the parts in the starter kits and full station kits, but that should be resolved soon and the kits back in stock in about a week.  The rest of the custom EnviroDIY electronic items like the bee modules and adapters will take a little longer.

Hello,

You had the mayfly station monitoring kits available this morning, are they already out of stock?

Thank you!

Shannon Hicks

Yes, they were all bought shortly after re-listing.  I’ll be working to build more as soon as I can.

Braedon
                                                Participant

I’m wondering when the LTE Bee modules and RS-485 adapters will be in stock. Thanks!

Shannon Hicks

LTEbees should be back in stock later this week in the EnviroDIY shop and in a week or two on Amazon.  The big order we placed from our manufacturer back in March had some production delays but is supposed to be delivered this week.  The RS485 adapter is still not ready for release, the original design relied on the 12v boost circuitry of the Mayfly v1.1, but because there were some issues with the amperage that circuitry can provide to certain sensors, we’ve had to revert to a different design, but those parts are still unavailable from the chip manufacturers. Further extensive testing is needed using a variety of sensors to find the right combination of parts to create a stable and reliable circuit.

Stephen H
                                                    Participant

Any update on when the RS485 adapter will be available?  Or possible alternatives?  Thx.

Shannon Hicks

It’s still in the prototype and testing phase, but the good news is the the chips that were unavailable for the past 18 months are finally available again.  If you or anyone else have specific RS485 sensors that you’re hoping to use, it would be helpful if you email me at mayfly@envirodiy.org with your sensor model information so we can make sure we produce an adapter that works with a many different sensors as possible.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.