Welcome to EnviroDIY, a community for do-it-yourself environmental science and monitoring. EnviroDIY is part of WikiWatershed, an initiative of Stroud Water Research Center designed to help people advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water.
New to EnviroDIY? Start here

12 V External Power and Serial Viewer

Home Forums Infrastructure and Equipment 12 V External Power and Serial Viewer

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Apryl
      Participant
        I feel like there should be a simple solution to this, but I haven’t stumbled upon it yet.  The 1.1 version of the Mayfly board now needs a DC converter connected to the USB C port in order to
        Shannon Hicks
          You are correct, if you’re using the USB jack to power a v1.0 or v1.1 Mayfly using a 12v source, then there’s no way to interface the Mayfly with a PC for programming or viewing serial out
          neilh20
          Participant
            The Mayfly 1.1 is great for powering options – but it does mean understanding the tradeoffs.

For an FTDI cable,  for debug monitoring of the Mayfly this is what I do – https://github.com

Apryl
              Participant
                Thanks for the info! That may explain why I can’t seem to get the sketch to upload via the FTDI while I have a converter plugged into the USBC, but I had though that turning off the DIP switch w
                Apryl
                Participant
                  So, if I understand correctly, I should be able to use the USBC to Serial (CP2102N Friend, oriented properly)  via the FTDI port to upload sketches as well as access the serial monitor with the 12V t
                Shannon Hicks
                  If you’re using an external FTDI or CP2102 interface board to program your Mayfly via the Mayfly’s FTDI socket, then the Mayfly dipswitch labeled USB should be turned off before connecting
                    Apryl
                    Participant
                      Sorry for the delayed response.  I am just getting back to this again.

The IDE version I am using is 1.8.13.

In the Windows Device Manager, when the CP2102 is plugged in it reads “Silicon Lab

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.