Welcome to EnviroDIY, a community for do-it-yourself environmental science and monitoring. EnviroDIY is part of WikiWatershed, a web toolkit designed to help citizens, conservation practitioners, municipal decision-makers, researchers, educators, and students advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water. New to EnviroDIY? Start here

Kevin Stokes

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12329
      Kevin Stokes
      Participant

      I have an update. I think the problem comes from the reading the sensor with SoftwareSerial_ExInts. There is data left in the read buffer after the read. I’m not sure if this is a real fix, but it seems to work. There is a section of code in MaxBotixSonar.cpp that reads the six header lines from the sensor, after the power is turned on. I changed it to read 20 lines. This means that it reads everything left in the buffer and you are getting new data.

      MS_DBG(F(“Parsing Header Lines from MaxBotix on “), getSensorLocation(), ‘\n’);
      for(int i = 0; i < 20; i++)
      {
      String headerLine = _stream->readStringUntil(‘\r’);
      delay(20)
      MS_DBG(i, F(” – “), headerLine, F(“\n”));
      }

    • #12285
      Kevin Stokes
      Participant

      Thank you Beth and Sara. We are currently using older code to simply wake up the Mayfly, take data, and write to an SD card. This has been deployed outdoors and works. I see the best way to implement the cell phone telemetry is to use code based on “logging_to_EnviroDIY” and the associated libraries. I have only had a chance to download this code a few days ago. I am not that familiar with Object Oriented Programming, but I think I can see what is going on. I will test it in the next day or two.

    • #12284
      Kevin Stokes
      Participant

      This first version had no cord grips. The students used silicone sealant but water was able to seep in somewhere. They say it didn’t flood. I have since purchased cord grips, http://www.newark.com/jacob/50007m12pasw-f/cable-clamp-gland-polyamide-thrd/dp/15M6172?ost=1168781&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fsearch. Like the ones you suggested, these are also IP68 rated, but a little cheaper. However, the cord grips from McMaster seem better since they have an additional o-ring, are available in many different sizes to accommodate different cable diameters, and have NPT threads.

    • #12270
      Kevin Stokes
      Participant

      Thank you. The students came up with almost the same idea; the attached image is their first design. We found some PVC pipe fittings that we think will help and we are working on a new design. Basically, we found a 4″ PVC cap that has a flat top which we think will make it easier to attach the Pelican case.

Viewing 3 reply threads