Learn About Your Station and Watershed
- Site/station info: SiteID, Stroud logger number (SL#), location (map, lat/long), logger box lock code (generally 888)
- Purpose of station(s): see project plan, speak to your coordinator
- Watershed characteristics – consider using these sources:
- Model My Watershed (FAQ, guides, and documentation available at https://wikiwatershed.org/help/, webinar available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIyiX_IvlrQ)
- Local knowledge
- Nearby USGS stations (https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/rt and https://maps.waterdata.usgs.gov/mapper/index.html)
- Google Maps/Google Earth
- Weather Underground for weather patterns
Daily: Monitor Data at MonitorMyWatershed.org
- Learn the patterns for your particular station.
- Look for sensor fouling particularly with the turbidity sensor, identify abnormal patterns and visit station for maintenance accordingly.
- Track battery level and potential cellular data transmission issues; battery level should be > 3.7 V for optimal function.
Weekly (or According to Your Specific Situation): Visit the Monitoring Station
- Clean the sensors and the area under and around the sensors.
- Clear the area around logger and solar panel.
- Fill out Field Visit Data Form.
- Always record what was done on site visit – if no check boxes on Field Visit Data Form address the issue, describe what was done in comments sections.
- Always record staff-gauge height.
- Check accuracy of station sensors using handheld sensors (if available).
- Enter data from Field Visit Data Form and/or in field notebook.
Every Six Weeks: Download Data From MicroSD Card
- If data are not online, download data as needed for monitoring purposes, at least every six weeks.
- If data are online, download data from microSD card when cellular connections fail and data stop transmitting to website, fill in gaps with microSD card data.
- Suggested title format: “Sitename/ID_mm-dd-yy”
Every Six to Eight Weeks: Back up Online Data
- Save in Excel to a secure hard drive or server.
- Suggested title format: “Site name/ID_mm-dd-yy”
Continuously: Develop the Station Management Process
- Refine the maintenance process as understanding of site and station is developed.
- Continue to refine the project plan and how station and data are used.