Welcome to EnviroDIY, a community for do-it-yourself environmental science and monitoring. EnviroDIY is part of WikiWatershed, a web toolkit designed to help citizens, conservation practitioners, municipal decision-makers, researchers, educators, and students advance knowledge and stewardship of fresh water. New to EnviroDIY? Start here

PlatformIO error with MS 0.28.01

Home Forums Mayfly Data Logger PlatformIO error with MS 0.28.01

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • #15214
      Matt Barney

      When adding ModSensors 0.28.01 to a new project, I get the error: ValueError: Invalid simple block ‘^0.28.01’. I’ve included the full error text in the attached file. I’m getting this on multiple PCs, and other versions of MS do not give me this error.

      I suspect this is a PlatformIO problem, but I’m posting here to see if others have seen it or can reproduce?

      To reproduce:
      Create new PIO project
      Add ModSensors library to the project from the PIO Registry: from PIO Home, click Libraries, search for ModularSensors and add it.
      An error pane pops up with the error described. I’ll attach a screencap of the error pane too.

      I can also generate the error by creating a new project and adding this line to platformio.ini and saving it:
      lib_deps = envirodiy/EnviroDIY_ModularSensors@^0.28.01

      I do *not* get the error if I instead specify ModularSensors using any of the following:
      lib_deps = envirodiy/EnviroDIY_ModularSensors@^0.28
      lib_deps = envirodiy/EnviroDIY_ModularSensors@0.27.8
      lib_deps = envirodiy/EnviroDIY_ModularSensors

      My environment:
      Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      VSCode 1.54.1
      PIO Core 5.1.0
      PIO Home 3.3.3
      PIO IDE 2.3.0

      (In the attached error message, there is also an error that I believe is unrelated: ‘Obsolete PIO Core, please remeove multiple PIO Cores from a system’. It began when I installed the -dev version of PIO Core and then uninstalled it after it didn’t solve the ‘ValueError’.)


    • #15217
      Anthony Aufdenkampe

      I recently had this problem too!

      The solution was to type:

      So, drop the “0”. Everything worked well, and it properly fetched v0.28.01.

      I’m not sure why Sara added that 0 to this version, but I suspect is was for a reason, but unfortunately the PlatformIO library registry doesn’t like having that 0 there.

    • #15218
      Matt Barney

      I suspected that was it! Confirmed that the .1 works for me as well.

      I don’t believe 0.28.01 is valid, per semver.org: “Numeric identifiers MUST NOT include leading zeroes.”

      Interestingly, sometimes PIO will fail silently when I use 0.28.01 via lib_deps (no error message), but it doesn’t install the lib dependencies at all. When I change it to 0.28.1, the dependencies install properly. I’ve reported on the PIO community because I think that the error handling could be improved.

      Thanks Anthony!


    • #15220
      Matt Barney
    • #15221
      Michael Daniel

      Hi all,
      I’m new to all this so still using ArduinoIDE for now.  I’m getting a similar error when trying to change the address for a Meters CDT sensor.  (One of the ones I recently purchased was recalled so I am trying to connect a different one).

      The error reads “Invalid version ‘0.28.01’ for library in: C:\Users\lillyn\Documents\Arduino\libraries\EnviroDIY_ModularSensors”

      Any suggestions on how to fix it?

    • #15224
      Matt Barney

      Hi Nancy,

      I don’t use the Arduino IDE, but as a workaround, I’d try downloading a previous version of ModularSensors. Delete ModularSensors from your Arduino libraries folder, and grab a zip of the previous version, 0.27.8 from the Releases page on github and install it instead.


    • #15225
      Sara Damiano

      I’m so sorry about the bad version number!  I’ll put out a new release to fix it!

      @aufdenkape – The only reason was that I was thinking about the way Windows sorts files alphabetically where having the leading zero helps.  That’s pretty meaningless for this, so it needs to be fixed.

      • #15228
        Michael Daniel

        Thanks for the suggestion Matt,

        It didn’t work very well, here’s the new error message:

        Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows Store (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino Uno”

        Sketch uses 6206 bytes (19%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
        Global variables use 631 bytes (30%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1417 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6f
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x77
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x65
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x72
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x69
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6e
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x67
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
        avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x75
        An error occurred while uploading the sketch


        • #15229
          Shannon Hicks

          It shows you’ve got “Arduino Uno” selected as your board type. If you’re using a Mayfly, you need to change that in the “Tools–> Board” menu. Once you’ve done that, also make sure you’ve selected the right COM port.  All of this is assuming you’ve already added the Mayfly board to the IDE as a supported board, using the instructions here:  https://www.envirodiy.org/mayfly/software/

        • #15234
          Michael Daniel

          That worked!  Thanks Shannon!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.